Getting verified on Facebook is a great way to establish brand credibility online. Both large brands and local businesses can be verified on the platform. The gray or blue verified badge lets your audience know you’re authentic and helps your page show up higher in search results so potential customers can easily find your business.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- Which Facebook verification badge is right for your business
- Best practices that will ensure your business gets verified
- How to apply for a verified badge
Which Facebook verification badge is right for you?
There are two types of Facebook verification badges, so you want to make sure you apply for the right one.
Blue verification badge
If you are a public figure, media company, or large brand, you can apply for the blue verification badge.
Gray verification badge
If you are a smaller or local business or organization, you can apply for the gray verification badge. For businesses with multiple brick and mortar shops and a Facebook Page for each, you can add the gray verification badge to Pages for specific locations.
4 tips to help you get verified on Facebook
The Facebook verification process has some requirements that need to be fulfilled before you can receive that coveted blue or gray checkmark.
1. Keep it professional
To make sure Facebook immediately recognizes your Page as associated with your business, your account should be an official representation of your brand. Ensure you are only sharing on-brand content to your Page, and remove anything that negatively affects your credibility such as:
- Off-brand logos, personal posts, or low quality images
- Posts containing incorrect grammar, spelling, capitalizations, or other unprofessional looking copy
- Anything that doesn’t fit your brand voice
Take a look at your business’ page through the eyes of a potential customer and edit or remove anything that looks less-than-professional.
2. Make sure your company information is up to date
If your information isn’t kept up to date, it won’t matter how professional your Facebook Page looks. Facebook will review and validate your information before they grant you the verification badge so you need to ensure it’s accurate.
You will need to ensure the following is up to date:
- Your website
- Email address
3. Link to official properties
The right links are important if you want to get verified on Facebook. In order for Facebook to approve your verification request, you must have an up to date link to your business’ official website. You must also link back to your Facebook Page from your website
4. Provide details
The more details you can provide about your business, the better. Make sure you’ve filled out all applicable details in your business Page’s About section. These details include:
- Address or addresses (if you have multiple locations)
- Phone numbers
- Your mission statement
- Your other social channel handles
- A company overview
How to apply for Facebook verification
Once you’ve filled out as much information about your business as possible (and check that it’s up to date), you’re ready to apply for verification.
It’s a simple six step process.:
- Click on Settings at the top of your Facebook Page
- From the General menu, click the Page Verification selection
3. Click on Verify this Page, then Get Started
4. You will have the option for an instant or more detailed verification process. The instant verification choice gives you the option to have Facebook call the phone number you have listed on your business Page. You’ll be given a verification code, which you’ll enter into the box Facebook provides you with. Then Facebook will award you with the appropriate verified checkmark.
5. If you choose the more detailed option, click on Verify this Page with documents instead. When prompted, upload a picture of the official document that clearly shows your business’s name and address. For example, an internet bill will work here.
6. Once Facebook receives your validation (verification code or business document) they will review and either confirm or deny your request. This process usually takes anywhere from 48 hours to 45 days.
Anything that gives your brand added credibility is worth pursuing. Follow the steps above to get verified on Facebook—and see your business grow.
Manage your Facebook presence by using Hootsuite to schedule posts, share video, engage with followers, and measure the impact of your efforts. Try it free today.
The post How to Get Verified on Facebook: A Step-by-Step Guide appeared first on Hootsuite Social Media Management.